Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Scamming

Scamming 6 months 6 days ago #9563

• Tobytrotter58
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3
Just been reading the Northern League Website and seen a worrying scam of a Reading based Community Club.

It seems the Treasurer received what he considered a legitimate email from the Chairman to pay money, £7,000, into a building firms bank account. The grand total in the end was £28,000 (would assume 4 x £7,000), but the bank, Barclays, say they can do nothing about it. The Treasurer resigned when he found out what had happened and even offered to sell his house to pay the money back, even though it was not his fault. All they could recover was £8.90!!

The club realise that it was not his fault and do not expect him to do that. However, it shows just how vigilant we have to be in our normal lives and at grass roots football clubs. Measures have been put in place to ensure procedures are tightened up by making payments a two signature requirement in future. It must be a big blow for the club who run some 27 boys and girls football teams.

I seem to remember that we had a problem on a very minor scale compared to this quite a few years ago, when someone, from I think the Merseyside area pretending to be representing the club, went to local premises who had sponsored small amounts the previous season, and then cleared off with the money. Memory says it was done from the names on the club fixture list that was still on the tea room wall.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Scamming 5 months 3 weeks ago #9567

• Little Katie
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 123
Correct Mr Trotter. Thankfully the scammer in question ended up in prison for several other fraudulent offences.

Another one I heard about recently which really shocked me happened to my sister-in-law's brother and his wife. It's not football related but it is definitely worth being aware of:

They were having an extension built and the time came to pay the first installment to the builder. They had been emailed the invoice so they duly paid several thousand pounds to the bank account detailed on the invoice. To cut a long story short, the builders' computer had allegedly been hacked, the account details changed on the invoice template and the builders then unwittingly (if we believe their story that is) sent the invoice out with the wrong details.

They have not been able to get their money back as the account has been emptied and the owner of the account cannot be tracked. The builder is not taking any responsibility either so that's it they've lost their money.

The advice is if you're making a large payment to someone for the first time, send them a quid, call and check they got it, then make the larger payment. I must admit I would've never thought to do that, but I certainly will now. Apparently many small building firms are an easy and lucrative target for these hackers as they aren't always IT savvy but they are sending out relatively large invoices.

You'd think it would be easy for online banking systems to pop up a message "I see you are paying a large amount to someone you've never paid before. May we suggest you send the recipient a small amount first to ensure you have the correct details." But no, far too sensible and helpful an idea...
Last Edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by Little Katie.

Scamming 5 months 3 weeks ago #9569

• Tobytrotter58
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3
I have heard something like this recently, probably on the early morning news (I'm still an early bird) and things like this seem to make you sit up and listen.

Not a nice situation to find yourself in, but sadly, no matter how much care people take, someone gets caught. I was stung for the princely sum of £110 a few years ago. It went to a gambling firm in Gibralter !! Now I have been known to have a wee bet on some big events, but never online. So how my details got out I don't know. The story did have a happy ending as I did get the money refunded by the bank. I changed bank accounts totally just in case.

Have a nice summer away from football.
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds