Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: BOT OR BOTS - OFF THE FIELD POSTING

BOT OR BOTS - OFF THE FIELD POSTING 1 week 14 hours ago #11633

• Hackers
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 61
I refer to the term ' bot ' or ' bots ' in connection with Forum Postings and Viewing Figures . Someone came on the Forum many moons past and explained what a ' bot ' was although I didn't fully understand the explanation at that time . Earlier today or maybe yesterday around 10.30 am there were 116 guests on line , so 115 other than me as I hadn't logged in at that time .
This does seem a high figure when you consider the day and time to be on a working day .
I presume the term ' bot ' is a shortening or condensing of the word ' robot ' , and as Snapdragon kindly informs me in an earlier topic , that the figure of 116 guests online can be misleading and that some of the guests are fictitious people that don't really exist , and therefore this skews the figures of guests online . However , I am presuming the bots can't affect the number of hits/viewings that each individual topic gets ? so it follows that these figures must be the only true reflection of how popular or not our Forum Site actually is .
All comments of enlightenment gratefully received .

Cheers .

Hackers
Last Edit: 6 days 10 hours ago by Hackers.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

BOT OR BOTS - OFF THE FIELD POSTING 5 days 16 hours ago #11640

• LJDV
  • Thank you received: 17
"An Internet bot, also known as a web robot, robot or simply bot, is a software application that runs automated tasks (scripts) over the Internet. Typically, bots perform tasks that are both simple and structurally repetitive, at a much higher rate than would be possible for a human alone. The largest use of bots is in web spidering (web crawler), in which an automated script fetches, analyzes and files information from web servers at many times the speed of a human. More than half of all web traffic is made up of bots]"

The ever reliable wikipedia's definition of a bot. In short, they are automated programmes and they sift through any and all websites (and their related pages) that they can, gathering as much info as possible, so yes they are definitely responsible for the majority of hits on this and all other websites, and there are millions of them out there.

Shout out to all the bots out there
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hackers
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds