Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: RAMMY REUNION & SPORTSMAN'S DINNER

RAMMY REUNION & SPORTSMAN'S DINNER 2 weeks 2 days ago #12150

• Hackers
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 83
Well as an ex-Rammy Player will be supporting this event organised by Phil Rose , Chris Standring and Jonno . Just hope it's not a tall order hoping to attract 100 ex-players as that's the equivalent of 9 different starting line-ups plus one .
Hope that's not an overorder , but with my positive head on then let's make it happen . To date only seen this event on Rammy Twitter , and a dead ringer for an early promotional article in the Bury Times and Rossendale Free Press , and Non - League papers , with a few dedicated posters around Rammy Town itself . I really don't think that a ' Heard it through the Grapevine ' policy will fill the gaff , as only a short space of time now to spread the gospel .
When you consider it's virtually an all-day event for ex-players , it's reasonably priced at £30 per ticket , which if you deduct the normal ground admission charge , then this effectively lowers the price to £26 quid for concessions , and presume £22 for the young un's . However , the Part 2 bit being the Sportsman's Dinner to be held in the Cricket Club after the Kendal Town home game is open to all .

Let's all try and promote the event which takes place on Leap Year Day - 29th February .

Cheers ,

Hackers aka Dog E. Taylor
Last Edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by Hackers.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

RAMMY REUNION & SPORTSMAN'S DINNER 1 week 4 days ago #12169

• Hackers
  • Platinum Member
Will buy my ticket for this event next week , and am interested to know what level of support fellow forummies are giving ?

Cheers ,

Hackers
Last Edit: 1 week 4 days ago by Hackers.

RAMMY REUNION & SPORTSMAN'S DINNER 4 days 14 hours ago #12186

• Hackers
  • Platinum Member
Have Ticket - Will Travel . A bit like the old 1960's or maybe early 70's Cowboy TV Series being ' Have Gun - Will Travel ' .

COYR

Just hope that some of the ' Legends ' from the late 60's and early 70's can make the ' do ' .
Legends like :-

Beefy [ I can ride a tackle ] Richards . A mild mannered guy off the pitch , but a ferocious terrier on it . Not surprised he went on to play semi-pro at Darwen FC .

Keith [ Thou shalt not pass ] Toppo - Full Back

Geoff Lay - Captain , Central - Defender , and Superstar .

Maurice [ The King of the Sliding Tackle ] Haslam - foot first on ball - opposition player up in the air - slide through on arse - get up and carry on down the field . Seen it a hundred times . A real classy player on the park and the ' pin up boy ' that ALL the girls fancied . As well as being a pin-up and good-looker in his heyday and had the local status of being either Elvis or Cliff depending upon who the girls preferred , was another multi-talented guy playing cricket also for Rammy C.C. at Acre Bottom as both bowler and batsmen and fielder . A terrific all-rounder , and probably can't get in his own lounge at home for the number of trophies all over the place .

Billy [ Bundle em in the net ] Gifford . Goal scorer and ' hitman ' for The Rams . Great header of a ball and a real handful up front , especially free-kicks and corners . When Billy powered in for a corner all hell was let loose in the goalmouth and pandemonium reigned in the box as Bustling Billy would bustle the ball over the line every which way he could with himself , goalkeeper and defenders and sometimes even the referee over the line and in a pile and grabbing hold of the netting to get upright . A sight to behold and absolute chaos . Just fabluss [ Welsh speak ] .

The Read/Reid ? Brothers - Derek and Alan . Derek an outstanding , accomplished and rock-solid centre-back playing alongside Geoff Lay and will always remember his ' take no prisoners attitude ' . His younger brother Alan nicknamed Al Capone , and another top goalscorer and hitman for The Rams . Terrific striker of a ball and many an exocet fired in and bulged the onion bag. Mercurial in many ways also , and had the ability to pull a rabbit out of a hat , so to speak , and score when nothing seemed on .

Kevin Mulrooney . The silky and skilful play of ' Mull ' in midfield .

Kevin ' Ramsell ' Raynes . Yet another prolific goalscorer . A ' tough guy ' both on and off the pitch . Appeared to have a craggy stance , a bit like Jimmy Scoular of Newcastle United fame , but Kev much better looking than Jimmy the Geordie who would have never won a beauty contest in a Millenium ! Never actually played in the same team as Ramsell , but played against him when he played for Joshua Hoyles in Summerseat or maybe it was then Brooksbottom [ The Brox ] . He was famous in my eyes for welcoming visiting players and telling them on arrival and just for openers ' You've got fucking nowt to come today ' . Such welcoming diplomacy but still a great character .

Dennis Warburton . Mainly played in the Second X1 like me and was Centre Half and Captain . Again a ' no prisoners ' type of guy with his favourite saying espoused every game and shouting out loud ' Stamp on their Necks ' . Dennis was a stocky and strapping lad with a big arse which he used to maximum effect to nudge opposition players off their stride . Might still be selling carpets ? Tower Carpets ? Still on Bolton Road North in Rammy ?

Then the Amazing Storey brothers - all 4 of them . Stuart , Dave , Michael and Harry . Not completely sure Michael [ Mick ] actually turned out for The Rams but did play for Stubbins Villa and really enjoyed winding opponents up . Was a master at that both on and off the pitch .
Eldest brother Stuart was quicksilver in front of goal and a natural born predator and goal-poacher with a unique ability to sniff a goal out . Then down the list Dave Storey who our Chairman Harry Williams who was then Team Manager reckoned Dave was the ' hardest ' player he'd ever signed for The Rams . Quite some accolade that , and you could bet your bottom dollar when there was trouble on the pitch that Dave would be in the midst of the action , even though he had to run in from the wing to join the melee to get a piece of the action . Dave a winger with a blistering turn of speed down the wing and then direct in on goal to score and complete his run . Yet another prolific goalscorer for The Rams . Then the joker in the pack being young Harry . A Midfield General on the park and a gifted player . Shades of Messi and the Galloping Major himself - Ferenc Puskas . A great and consummate playmaker on the pitch and goalscorer too .

Brian ' Mouse ' Fielding . A terrific and pacy right-winger with an eye for goal . Great memories of Mouse regularly scampering down the wing , skinning his full-back and then an unstoppable low drive into the corner of the net to give the keeper no chance . Also Mouse was a top class cricketer for Rammy C.C. and pace bowler . No end to this man's talents .

Humble apologies for anyone I've missed of this list of late 60's and early 70's players , but the list wouldn't be complete without mentioning two of the really Late Greats who have now passed on and play their football in Heaven . We shall never forget the player with the Tiger in his Tank being the late great Alistair McLeod a ferocious and combative midfielder , and then in my opinion the greatest Sportsman of them all being the late great Terry Stewart . There's no doubt in my mind that Terry Stewart was the ultimate Sportsman , A sheer colossus in the Rammy back four for many a year , and distinctly remember whilst sitting in the stand at Burnden Park seeing Terry win the Bolton Hospitals Cup for The Rams with a typical long range strike to lift the Cup . Had the privilege of playing in the same team as Terry most certainly at Nuttall Park and me not fit to lace his boots . Add to all this his success at Greenmount Cricket Club alongside Neville Neville , and playing as full-time pro for Rammy Cricket Club in the Lancashire League and am told he was a great darts player and top snooker/billiards player , so it all adds up to Terry being the Ultimate Sportsman and a guy who held and played all the 4 aces . Simply a unique man who will always have a place in Rammy hearts and minds .

Didn't realise what I'd taken on writing this posting and sincere apologies for it being so long which I hadn't expected at the outset . .
So now to conclude . Don't think anyone can argue that the above players along with others from the same era , laid the basic rock-solid granite foundations for our Club to flourish and grow . Since then much progression up the football pyramid through Bury Amateur League , Bolton Combination , Manchester Leagues , North West Counties , to now the Bet Victor Northern Premier League , and as I write , currently top of Division 1 North West and well in the hunt for further promotion and maybe a rise up to Step 3 on the Pyramid . Onwards and Upwards , and many thanks to the above guys who played their integral part in building up the Club in it's early formative years in to what it is today . Full blown Oak Trees don't just suddenly appear . Cheers .

COYR

HACKERS aka DOG E . TAYLOR
Last Edit: 16 hours 46 minutes ago by Hackers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Little Katie

RAMMY REUNION & SPORTSMAN'S DINNER 8 hours 22 minutes ago #12191

• stanny66
A great last post by Hackers of which I feel I need to respond to. The whole purpose of setting up the players reunion of which Phil Rose has massively backed is not only to bring together ex players from past decades, but bring together the club as a whole.
We are hoping the 29th February will galvanise everybody involved with the club and I hope that for both and day this is reflected. For the evening, we hope to have as many ex-players, present players, committee and all the fans together. There is an age restriction of 16, but we do hope to see everyone there both male and female. There aren't many opportunities these days for a get together like this. As Phil has stated, the ex-players wont fill the room or even the fans wont fill the room, but collectively we can and that is the philosophy we all hope to show going forward with the club.
So we encourage everyone to come on the day/night and enjoy both match and evening entertainment or even just at night. I know there are quite a few who are at other clubs either playing or managing/coaching who will be coming as soon as they can.
If anyone wants to contact me my email is: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
For the record, on a snowy 17th March 2018 against Colwyn Bay, we had 55 ex players. This year we are already expecting in excess of 80 former players and with tickets already sold on the night, we are over the 100 mark.
Please contact me for further details.
For those interested in the history alongside the last post, see attached my membership card from 1978-1979, Hackers has a good memory!!!

IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

RAMMY REUNION & SPORTSMAN'S DINNER 8 hours 14 minutes ago #12193

• stanny66
A great last post by Hackers of which I feel I need to respond to. The whole purpose of setting up the players reunion of which Phil Rose has massively backed is not only to bring together ex players from past decades, but bring together the club as a whole.
We are hoping the 29th February will galvanise everybody involved with the club and I hope that for both and day this is reflected. For the evening, we hope to have as many ex-players, present players, committee and all the fans together. There is an age restriction of 16, but we do hope to see everyone there both male and female. There aren't many opportunities these days for a get together like this. As Phil has stated, the ex-players wont fill the room or even the fans wont fill the room, but collectively we can and that is the philosophy we all hope to show going forward with the club.
So we encourage everyone to come on the day/night and enjoy both match and evening entertainment or even just at night. I know there are quite a few who are at other clubs either playing or managing/coaching who will be coming as soon as they can.
If anyone wants to contact me my email is: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
For the record, on a snowy 17th March 2018 against Colwyn Bay, we had 55 ex players. This year we are already expecting in excess of 80 former players and with tickets already sold on the night, we are over the 100 mark.
Please contact me for further details.
For those interested in the history alongside the last post, see attached my membership card from 1978-1979, Hackers has a good memory!!!

RAMMY REUNION & SPORTSMAN'S DINNER 6 hours 26 minutes ago #12195

• From the Darkside
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 235
Credit where it's due, Hackers. An excellent post !!!!
Time to create page: 0.315 seconds