Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: SAVE OUR SEASON !

SAVE OUR SEASON ! 6 months 1 day ago #12272

• From the Darkside
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 251
Very disappointing news from the FA today and I’m sure many of you, like me, see the return of football as one of the shining lights at the end of a very dark tunnel. Personally, and without being any kind of expert, I think we will be lucky to see any football even by the due start date of the 2020/21 season in August.

Difficult decisions facing the FA and many other sporting bodies at the moment with the virus being far from its peak. On the one hand, we can applaud the NPL for taking swift action rather than leaving us all in limbo, wondering what happens next and where we go from here. However, as Marineland puts across perfectly, it has also created further problems for the clubs at this level. I’m just glad I don’t have to make these decisions as I really don’t have the answer.

In the meanwhile, stay safe everyone and when football is back we'll have one hell of a celebration down at The Riverside
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tobytrotter58

SAVE OUR SEASON ! 6 months 1 day ago #12273

• BroxBlue
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20
I can't quite get my head round this decision on any number of fronts!!

The NPL, Isthmian and Southern Leagues are unanimous in wanting to terminate the 2019/20 season immediately. Whether that is done on the basis of determining the final placings via average points per game, or the season is declared null and void cannot be decided until the National League’s intentions are confirmed.
That is a cut & paste from the BetVictor NP Website dated 24th March.
1: The 3 leagues @ steps 3&4 represent their member clubs, did the majority of clubs agree with this stance?
2: Unless I'm very much mistaken the NL's intentions haven't been confirmed?
Why did the 3 Leagues want so swift an end?

Nick Robinson Chairman of the Isthmian League "We've said the competitions are now finished and we're going to look forward to next season. BBC Sport Website
I suggest Mr Robinson gets Boris, the Chancellor of the Exchequer & the Chief Medial Officer round his gaff, gets them all gaze into his Crystal Ball & let them know exactly what semblance of normal the world will be in @ the end of August!!!!!! What gives him the slightest inkling that next season/any of our futures will exist in such a fashion that a full league programme is a possibility. Why run the possibility of 2 incomplete seasons when you could wait & see what occurs in future, then perhaps finish the 2019-20 remaining fixtures in what could be a truncated end of 2020 start of 2021?
This decision is so barmy that I reckon I must be missing sumat???

Best of British to one & all, stay safe youuuu Raammss.
Last Edit: 6 months 1 day ago by BroxBlue.

SAVE OUR SEASON ! 6 months 1 day ago #12274

• P.A.
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 40
Well done Barry from Marine....always a sensible scribe.
I shall wait until I calm down before saying too much, but the dismissive wave of the hand ending nine months of hard work is an insult to the players, management, officials, helpers and supporters of each and every club.
Looks like the Leagues and the FA have decided to take the easy option with total disregard to the feelings of thousands of people. Other options should have been considered and put in place. This is the cowards way out.
They should be ashamed of themselves.
I'll say no more at this stage, but there is plenty to come....

SAVE OUR SEASON ! 6 months 1 day ago #12275

• Tobytrotter58
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 31
Excellent post by Marineland, as usual. Having simmered down a tad now and read his letter, his argument has some very interesting points. Perhaps the distinct possibility of next season not bring completed either stands out.

Yes, it was a difficult decision that had to be made, but, considering a return to football seems a million miles away, would it not have been better to wait and see what conditions prevail say end of June. This in itself is being optimistic, so why make what seems a hasty decision. Waiting a little longer would have done no harm at all..

SAVE OUR SEASON ! 6 months 1 day ago #12276

• Marineland
  • Thank you received: 17
Thank you for the comments. I think Matt Badcock at the Non League Paper will be devoting at least a page and probably more on this topic in this Sunday’s edition and as there are some very good and powerful points being made on the forum here it would be a shame if Rammy fans didn’t write in with them. I would have been fine with Rammy being awarded promotion along with Workington but this is about the hundreds of clubs between Steps 3-7 and the injustice of it all without any apparent consideration towards the supporters of those clubs and I wonder how the players feel? Is it all about money and contracts?

SAVE OUR SEASON ! 6 months 1 day ago #12277

• Tobytrotter58
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 31
Consideration has never been a strong point with the authorities. Its always the us & them situation, with only their opinion counting. They view us as an irritation. I'm sure that somewhere, the thorny problem of money/contracts raised its ugly head.

Our divisions run in had some intriguing matches and it promised an exciting conclusion to what had been a fantastic season for top 8 as it stood. Now, our seasons gone up in smoke at a whim, aided by faceless and gutless people. I wonder how much pressure was administered from higher up?

They ought to hang their heads in shame. However, they have achieved something,they have proved how out of touch they are with supporters' feelings. Bet there was plenty of back slapping after taking this monumental step; er no, Cock Up.

SAVE OUR SEASON ! 6 months 22 hours ago #12278

• Hackers
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 97
Mmmmmm - well ' Act in haste and repent at leisure ' . Seems to me our own NPL have jumped the gun to say the least , and if you jump the gun in sport you normally get disqualified .
Should have waited till at least the EFL declare their intentions , and ideally the National League also .

Hackers
Last Edit: 5 months 4 weeks ago by Hackers.

SAVE OUR SEASON ! 6 months 20 hours ago #12279

• TobyT2003
The fact that the FA have messed with our tier 2 years in a row is unacceptable, with last seasons playoff farce and now this! I don't know why they didn't promote the 1st and 2nd teams with PPG.

I guess there are bigger issues in the world at the moment however, and I wish everyone good health and I will hopefully see you down at the Riverside in the near future!

SAVE OUR SEASON ! 6 months 19 hours ago #12280

• P.A.
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 40
Like Barry at Marine, I have also forwarded a letter to the Non-League Paper.
Please see below:

Once again, the FA have shown non-league fans exactly what they think of us.
We are an irritation and an inconvenience.
To arrogantly waft a hand to say "dismissed" without any thought for the hundreds of clubs and tens of thousands of peopele involved at football's level seven and below, whilst at the same time wilting nervously under the powers of the top six levels, shows just how distanced the authorities at Wembley really are from the game's true followers.
At a time when League's are crying out for additional help in running non-league clubs, such an insulting attitude is hardly likely to have volunteers racing forward, quite the opposite.
We've gone through 3/4s of a season, now, apparently for no reason at all.
What a waste.
What an insult to all the players and management.
What a slap-in-the-face for all the hardworking people behind the scenes.
What a total disregard for all the supporters.
There will be those who would argue that the issue of contracts etc, focussed their minds, but the same applies higher up.
Had the season been in it's opening weeks, then no-one would have complained, but to reward failure (preventing relegation) and deny success (no promotions) goes totally against the spirit of sport.
Those that have speedily come to this conclusion ought to hang their heads in shame.
Tony Cunningham
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tobytrotter58, From the Darkside

SAVE OUR SEASON ! 6 months 18 hours ago #12281

• Marineland
  • Thank you received: 17
Powerful stuff, Tony. I hope it goes in on Sunday. Cheers, mate!
Time to create page: 0.285 seconds