Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: YOUNG BOYS OF BERN ? ?

YOUNG BOYS OF BERN ? ? 5 days 15 hours ago #12438

• Hackers
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 92
Well it ain't gonna be the Young Boys of Bern is it ! , but it is a piccy of the young schoolboys of Peel Brow Secondary Modern School , Peel Brow , Ramsbottom and piccy taken in the early 1960's , only around 60 years ago , and four of those schoolboys went on to play for The Rams First X1 , with one of those four most notably going on to play semi-professional for a nearby Non-League Club . Can you name all 4 players as well as naming the star player ?

Also the piccy shows our Sportsmaster Mr. Dempsey [ top left ] who had the unusual way of calling all the schoolboys " plebs " , and wasn't afraid to use ' the slipper ' on us all to get things moving ! Ouch !
Image12.jpg
Last Edit: 5 days 15 hours ago by Hackers.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Devils Guard

YOUNG BOYS OF BERN ? ? 5 days 12 hours ago #12439

• Tobytrotter58
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 31
Hackers. Taking a calculated risk I would say that certain Peter Taylor (you) is in there somewhere. Although I can't identify him, I think Keith Topping may be in the photo. Not able to think of anyone else yet.
Last Edit: 5 days 12 hours ago by Tobytrotter58. Reason: Missing word

YOUNG BOYS OF BERN ? ? 5 days 9 hours ago #12440

• johnharryayers
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 40
Hackers - kneeling front right (as we look) ????

YOUNG BOYS OF BERN ? ? 5 days 8 hours ago #12441

• Hackers
  • Platinum Member
Well TT 58 , looks like I've conjured up a bit of a conundrum here . I've already nicknamed you ' The Oracle ' for your in-depth football knowledge , both League and Non-League and for blitzing your way through Darkside's quizzes ..
However , on this occasion it's a Yes & No jobby . Yes I am in the piccy , but no Toppo [ Keith Topping ] isn't . So the plot thickens .

YOUNG BOYS OF BERN ? ? 5 days 7 hours ago #12442

• Hackers
  • Platinum Member
Statto , well just how long have you known me ? That's not me kneeling . However , the player you identify did play on Edenfield Rec but maybe for Ramsbottom Town being one of my other teams .

YOUNG BOYS OF BERN ? ? 5 days 4 hours ago #12443

• From the Darkside
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 249
A wonderful thread, Hackers :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hackers

YOUNG BOYS OF BERN ? ? 4 days 17 hours ago #12444

• Hackers
  • Platinum Member
Darkside , please note I've given you yet another ' Thank you ' . I just hope that your comment is sincere and isn't some form of veiled comment . Not a lot going on down at The Riverside at the mo for obvious reasons , so just like to see our Fab Fans Forum just ticking over to some degree . Anyway so as long as not to draw my little quiz out , then here are the names of the players .
BACK ROW [ left to right ] Mr Dempsey [ Sportsmaster ] , Read , Booth , Hogg , Stubbs ? , Carroll , Honey

FRONT ROW [ left to right ] Ashworth , Bonney , Richards , White , Taylor , Timmins , Wright .

The 4 players that went on to play for Rammy 1st X1 were Read , Ashworth , Richards , and Taylor .

Derek Read played alongside Geoff Lay as Central Defender .
John Ashworth - seem to remember Ashy as a pacy winger , but also a top class cricketer for Rammy CC .
Keith ' Beefy ' Richards was the ' stand out ' player and star player for The Rams and went on to play semi-pro for Darwen AFC
Taylor [ me ] . Played at least once for the First Team away at Turton & Edgeworth , and scored a brace that day ..
May have played more games as distinctly remember playing in the same side as the ' great ' Terry Stewart .

Statto - the player you fingered ' kneeling ' was Alan ? Wright . He went by the nickname Rastus , and everyone knew him as Rastus Wright and nobody used his first name , and sometimes just shortened to Ras Wright . Amazing how nicknames stick with us . He was a highly combative right full-back/ right half . A real ' in yer face ' type player . Would chase everything down , even a rat up a drainpipe . Would have been a nightmare to play against .
Last Edit: 4 days 15 hours ago by Hackers.

YOUNG BOYS OF BERN ? ? 4 days 10 hours ago #12445

• From the Darkside
  • Platinum Member
Being sincere, Hackers. You know me, I'll tell you straight when you start talking bollocks :P

An interesting read, despite not knowing most of the lads, though I'm sure some of our older supporters will. Also good to see that when other kids of that era were looking to Elvis as a role model/style guru you had gone straight for the 'Just William' look :woohoo:

YOUNG BOYS OF BERN ? ? 4 days 10 hours ago #12446

• From the Darkside
  • Platinum Member
Hackers wrote:

Statto - the player you fingered .

:ohmy:

YOUNG BOYS OF BERN ? ? 4 days 10 hours ago #12447

• Hackers
  • Platinum Member
Darkside , just some great ' craic ' there . Keep up the good work .
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.344 seconds