Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2017/18 Reality Check

2017/18 Reality Check 2 months 3 weeks ago #9682

• johnharryayers
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 16
A promising start to the season and the best August results for several years. However, let's have a reality check.
Last season, the 4 corresponding games produced 2 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss (7 points).
This season, 2 wins, 2 draws (8 points). So not a lot of difference overall apart from the goals scored/conceded (and a better standard of play).
Last season we scored 9 and conceded 9; this season we scored 8 but only conceded 4.
Now for our scheduled September games:
Last season, the 7 corresponding games, produced 4 points, with no wins, 4 draws and 3 losses. The number of goals scored was 6 with 13 conceded.
Furthermore, 6 of the 7 teams that we are scheduled to play finished higher than us in the league, so I believe that the reality check will be at the end of September.
I firmly believe that we now have an excellent squad of players, who seem to want to play for the manager and each other, and from what I have seen so far (including the pre-season friendlies), we have a realistic chance of returning to the premiership.
The supporters want it! So it's up to "The Rams".
COYR! COYR!! COYR!!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

2017/18 Reality Check 2 months 3 weeks ago #9684

• Little Katie
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 123
Some interesting number crunching there John, thanks!

2017/18 Reality Check 2 months 1 week ago #9712

• johnharryayers
  • Elite Member
Further to my previous post on this subject, I still believe that the reality check will come at the end of this month.
However, with the slight change in the scheduled matches in September, the comparison (to last season) is already in our favour!
Last season - just 3 points from the 7 scheduled games; This season - already 6 points with 5 more matches to play.
I endorse my previous comments about the squad; they are playing with and for each other, and whilst we still have to play the likes of South Shields, Scarborough and Droylsden (who I believe will all be "in the mix" at the end of the season), if we play to our potential, I don't think that we should fear any of them.
COYR! COYR!! COYR!!!

2017/18 Reality Check 1 month 3 weeks ago #9742

• johnharryayers
  • Elite Member
When I started this topic at the end of August, I said that the reality check would be at the end of September - based on the results of the scheduled fixtures when compared to the equivalent results of last season.
Since then, there have been a few changes to the fixture list, because of the FA Cup results, but a direct comparison of the 11 games now played shows that we are 5 points better off; have scored 5 goals more and conceded 6 goals less than in the same fixtures last year.

So why am I not feeling great?

Is it because we've lost 4 of our last 5 games? Games that we could, perhaps should have won, or at least not lost. No! I think it's because the style of our play (apart from the first 20 minutes at Clitheroe) seams to have changed and is not putting the opposition under any sustained pressure.

We appear to concede the wide areas to the opposition, giving their defenders an "easy out" and their wide-men the opportunity to cross the ball; thereby relying heavily on the defensive abilities of our keeper and "back - four".

When we do have possession, more often than not we are so narrow that it requires pin-point accuracy to "thread it through" into attacking areas; if we do take-on the opposition, because we are so narrow, there is always a second our third defender in close proximity and when we do attempt to "go wide", we generally have to wait for someone to move out to receive the ball - allowing the opposition time to re-group.

Don't get me wrong, so far this season we've had some good results, we've scored some cracking goals and put in some excellent defensive performances, but the best standard of play has been when we have played with width, creating gaps in the opposition's defence and "targets" for our defenders to "clear the lines".

At the moment, because of FA Trophy and League Cup fixtures, we have only got 3 scheduled league matches in October against teams that are currently in the bottom 6 positions of our league. If we don't get 9 points from these fixtures, I think that we can "kiss goodbye" to any thoughts of promotion!

COYR! COYR!! COYR!!!

2017/18 Reality Check 1 month 3 weeks ago #9743

• UkePunk
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
We don't seem to have an out and out right winger. Greg Daniels is forced to drift out there half the time leaving no one in the box. This happened a few times against Bamber Bridge and in the last few games I have managed to attend.
We're all football managers and I don't want to knock anybody at this stage but sometimes, somethings are glaringly obvious.

2017/18 Reality Check 2 weeks 5 days ago #9850

• johnharryayers
  • Elite Member
Here I go again on the theme of a reality check.

5th November 2016:
Played 15, won 5, drawn 4, lost 6, goals for 27, goals against 31, points 19.

4th November 2017:
Played 15, won 6, drawn 2, lost 7, goals for 25, goals against 26, points 20.

Yes, a point better off!. However, last season, 8 of the 15 games had been against teams that finished above us; whilst this season, only 6 of the games have been against teams that are currently above us.

Moreover, if you split the other 21 clubs in our league into 3 "mini-leagues" of 7 clubs (Top 7, Middle 7 and Bottom 7), we have achieved 7 points against the "Top 7"; a further 7 points against the "Middle 7" but only 6 points against the "Bottom 7".

I've no idea what (if anything) this proves, other than perhaps that we play better against good teams and don't take our chances against the less good.
In a way, our results in the FA Cup & Trophy competitions would tend to confirm this.

So, let's see what happens on Tuesday. A victory would give us another home tie against Hyde United!

COYR! COYR!! COYR!!!
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds