Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Premier League referee

Premier League referee 1 month 3 days ago #10079

• Richard
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 54
Hello all,

I hope everyone is keeping well.

I was listening to the radio the other day and a commentary of the Premier League match when the name Chris Cavanagh was mentioned as the referee on the park. I knew I had heard this name from somewhere ... and I was right.

The Ashton-under-Lyne based official was in charge of a match between Ramsbottom United and Maine Road on 15 December 2009 on a farcically wet pitch and Cavanagh came to the ground on that afternoon to inspect the pitch. I wrote the below in the match report, which was subsequently reported to the Lancashire FA and I had to remove it .......

We wish him all the very best but it does bring into question the decision of Ashton-under-Lyne based referee Chris Cavanagh, who rather aggressively decided the game should go ahead on Tuesday afternoon only to see two players assisted from the field in the opening 15 minutes due to the heavy state of the pitch.

Having been at the ground when the inspection took place, Harry's protestations that the pitch was not safe to play on, in case of any player suffering serious injury, fell on the official's deaf ears and his criticism of the Ramsbottom United chairman was unwarranted.

It now seems that Harry was correct in his assessment and it now sees both players facing a long period, not only off the football pitch, but also possibly away from their employment.

Whilst you do not like to criticise referees, it did seem that Mr Cavanagh's decision was purely selfish and not considering the possibility of any injury that could have been inflicted on the players. I am sure that referees and officials have a duty of care to the 22 men on the field but in this case, I fear this may have been compromised.

Anthony Johnson was the Rams player injured after 15 minutes (replaced by Andrew Sensale) and our own Eddie Moran came on for Daniel Self for the visitors after just 6 minutes.

Having heard this referee's appalling attitude on that afternoon at Rammy with Harry, I was very surprised to hear that he is now a Premler League referee ....... incredible!!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Premier League referee 1 month 2 days ago #10084

• Little Katie
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 126
Wow! I remember that game. And the injuries...

Premier League referee 1 month 2 days ago #10086

• Tobytrotter58
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3
Yep. It was like glue. Jonno broke his leg and whilst waiting in the ambulance, he was joined by another unfortunate soul from Maine Road with a knee injury. Think the game ended 2-2.

Even we supporters could see it wasn't playable.
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds