Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Player turnover

Player turnover 3 months 3 weeks ago #10107

• Richard
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 55
With the very disappointing news that Ben Richardson is the latest to swing through the HWRS exit doors, is it a serious worry that our player turnover continues to grow?

I appreciate that eras are different and the Johnson/Morley era was a serious one-off but you only have to look at the numbers of players used to gauge where we are.

2009/10 - NWCL 4th (J&B first season) - 46 players used
2010/11 - NWCL 2nd - 34 players used
2011/12 - NWCL champions - 36 players used
2012/13 - NPL North 6th - 34 players used
2013/14 - NPL play-off win - 38 players used
2014/15 - raided by Celebrity City FC - 49 players used
2015/16 - relegated - 61 players used
2016/17 - mid-table - 55 players used
2017/18 - current season - 46 players so far

A settled squad of players, who want to play for each other and with each other WORKS as the figures above show.

This reliance upon loan players from local professional clubs does not provide a good team environment, they are just stop gaps. Players look around the dressing room and go 'well, who's this lad?'. Why can we not use the players that we are developing in the U21s to further their careers and blood them in the first XI rather than haul in these kids from Oldham/Accrington etc. Aren't our U21s any good? Are they not good enough to feature? Because we are currently 17th in the table which tells it's very own story. Yes, we have been very unlucky in a few games but that's sport but surely, seeing lads just coming and going can't do anything for the team, for the supporters or anyone.

We need a settled squad, a settled team. Yes, players come and go, I get that. But no more than 35 or so players should be used in a season - 46 so far and 15 games to play is far far too many to be successful
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by Richard.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: From the Darkside, Hackers

Player turnover 3 months 3 weeks ago #10108

• From the Darkside
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 177
The Under 21's are technically the 'Development Squad', although there seems to be little interest in developing any of the young lads. Admittedly, Reagan Jarrett has made the odd appearance for us and then we don't see him for weeks on end which must make it difficult for him to integrate into the team/squad.

The young lads may, or may not, be good enough for the first team, but from what I've seen there is not a lot of difference between them and the loan players (Zehn apart, who has proved a more than effective use of the loan system)

I'm sure the supporters would be more forgiving if young, local players were utilised and given first team experience.
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by From the Darkside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hackers, tony

Player turnover 3 months 3 weeks ago #10116

Yes, I agree, what happened to the likes of Tom Williams and others this season, strikes me if your face doesn't fit!!!
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds